Thursday, August 9, 2007

Accra: the final days

Since I've returned from Togo, I've done nothing really worthy of a blog entry. I did go gay clubbing alone for the third time, which didn't actually lead to any clubbing. I did, however, hit the jackpot this time and I was able to hook up with a bunch of interesting gay guys and ended up hanging out with them the next day. I only wish I had met them earlier because I don't have time to actually go clubbing this weekend.

Although I haven't done anything specific, I've definitely been learning volumes about myself these past few days. The first five weeks of this trip I spent exploring the world around me, researching and reporting Ghana. The last week, I've been looking inward, reading myself. I will sorely miss this place when I leave, and the people I've met. Strangely, Ghana has been more of a home to me during the six weeks I've been here than Hawaii and Chicago have been during the past two decades of my life. I really can't grasp the forever quality about my leaving, because what's the probability of me ever returning to this beautiful country?

This week I've gone to the National Museum in Adabraka and went back to the cultural center today. Meh. Touristy. I think I would have liked those kinds of outings earlier in my stay, but after doing the things I've done those popular obruni destinations just feel so dry and unreal.

Well, I don't have much to say that's blog-worthy, although I do have a LOT to ramble on about if your're either Jennifer or Rhemashel's journal. I just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive, although I might drop dead any second now from poisoning or whatnot. I woke up today with a huge cyst-like pus blob over my eyebrow piercing and I don't have the resources to clean and lance it. Oh well. I actually get really worried when I think about it, but as Eriiiico said awhile back, This is Africa. Germs won't be there if you believe hard enough.

This Saturday I'm going to spend my last day in Ghana at an annual Ga festival called Homowo. I have no idea what it's for, but it involves sprinkling this thing called kpeplele. I don't know what kpeplele is, I had a hard enough time getting the spelling of it. But I'll find out this weekend, and I'll blog on it when I arrive in NYC.

Ciao for now and wish my eyebrow lots of luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my site so i came
to “return the favor”.I'm attempting to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Review my webpage ... louis vuitton bags on sale